Old Sheriff Department

What We Do: Carry & Conceal Deadly Weapons

With the passing of House Bill 40, qualified Kentucky residents are allowed to conceal and carry deadly weapons as of 
October 1, 1996.

The Kentucky State Police are in-charge of issuing a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon.  Our job is to take an application for a permit from a Oldham County resident and verify his/her completion certificate of the required training from a qualified training instructor along with the payment of necessary fees and take a photograph of the applicant and forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. Then in approximately 3-5 weeks when the Kentucky State Police issue a permit they notify the applicant via mail and the applicant can pick-up his/her permit in our office during normal business hours ( 8:00am-4:00pm M-F).



NEW ! 
As of July 12, 2006 , in accordance with House Bill 290 and the changes it made to KRS 237.110, anyone applying for a CCDW license or renewal must be a citizen of the United States . Therefore, applicants will need to fill out and sign a Citizenship Affidavit declaring citizenship to the United States , which will be attached to the application. 
Another change that was made to KRS 237.110 states that of the $60 application fee, $40 of it must be a check or money order made payable to the Department of State Police, and any application submitted to the KSP that does not have the $40 fee with it will be returned unprocessed. The remaining $20, (of the $60 application fee), can be cash, check or money order made out to the Oldham County Sheriff’s Office. For more on House Bill 290, click the following link: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/06RS/HB290/bill.doc
What Credentials Do You Need To Bring?
US Government issued ID 
or Proof of Social Security Social Security Card
or Letter from SSA
or Most Recent State Income Tax Return
Proof of Kentucky Residency 
Most Recent County Property Tax Bill
or County Vehicle Registration Certificate
or Most Recent State Income Tax Return
or Voter Registration Card
Training Certificate Original plus copy (A copy can be made at the Sheriff's Office)
Separate Photo for the Application (A photo can be taken at the Sheriff's Office)
If you decide to bring in your own photo:
It must be a 4 x 3 1//2 or a 4 x 5 shoulder shot, A passport photo is not acceptable. 
The applicant may not wear a hat in the photo or tinted eyeglasses